It is possible to import grades to the Grade Center from an Excel file or CSV file (Comma Separated Values -file). It is important that the Excel file has the correct format.
If you have not yet created an assignment, follow the steps below ('assign grades in Excel - existing assignment'). If you have already created a column with a specific assignment, follow the steps underneath ('Assign grades in Excel - new assignment').
Create an Excel file with the student numbers in the first column and the grades in the second column.
Pay Attention! If you use the English version of Nestor you use the decimal point to separate the fractional part of your grade (e.g. 6.0). If you use the Dutch version of Nestor you should use the decimal comma (e.g. 6,0).
- Enter 'Username' in the header of the first column. Enter the usernames on the lines below (see screenshot below). Make sure all student numbers are preceded by an 's'.
Pay Attention! If you use the Dutch version of Nestor, use 'Gebruikersnaam' instead of 'Username'. In both cases the use of a capital letter is crucial.
- Enter the name of your assignment in the header of the second column. Enter the grades, corresponding to that row's username, on the lines below (see screenshot below).
Pay Attention! Do not use spacing, this can cause errors when uploading.
Save the file as a .CSV file.
Choose 'Yes' when the following warning appears:
5. To upload the grades to Nestor, see "Upload your Excel file" at the bottom of this page.
- Create 1 column with the title: Username
Create a column with the exact title of the assignment. You can copy the exact title from the Excel download:
- Follow the procedure to download grades from the Grade Center as described below.
- Look for the specific column with the name of the assignment.
- Copy this cell, and paste it into your excel file as a title above the column with the grades.
- Enter all student numbers in the student numbers, including s.
- Enter the grade of the specific student within the column of the assignment. Please pay attention! If you use the English version of Nestor you use the decimal point to separate the fractional part of your grade (e.g. 6.0). If you use the Dutch version of Nestor you should use the decimal comma (e.g. 6,0).
- Save the file as a .csv file.
- Open the Full Grade Center in your course.
- Move your cursor to 'Work Offline' in the top right corner, and click 'Upload'.
- Browse your computer or content collection for the file you saved in the steps above.
- Select the delimiter type Auto.
- Click 'Submit' to upload the file.
- Use the page 'Upload Grades Confirmation' to check the data you want to upload.
- De-select the boxes corresponding to the data you do not wish to upload. This way you can control which columns to upload to the Grade Center.
- Click 'Submit' to upload the file, the results should be available in the Grade Center.
1. If you have followed the procedure for a new assignment, a column has been added to the Grade Center.
2. If you have followed the procedure of an existing assignment, the grades are assigned tot the corresponding column
It is possible to download a selection of or the entire Grade Center. Downloaded grades can be edited offline and the updated file can be uploaded to the Grade Center.
- Open the Full Grade Center and select 'Work Offline' in the top right corner. Click Download.
Select the data you want to download
- Full Grade Center: All Columns and corresponding data. Comments will not be selected and can not be added offline.
- Selected Column: Select a preferred column and download the corresponding data.
- User Information Only: Only student information (e.g. s-number) will be downloaded.
- Select the Delimiter Type 'Tab'.
- Choose whether you want to include hidden information. Hidden information includes columns and students who are hidden in the Grade Center view.
- Select your preferred download location. The default option is to download the file to your computer. Click 'Browse' to select a folder in the Content Collection.
- Click 'Submit'.
- On the next page, click 'Download' and save the file.
The Grade Center table including grades has been downloaded as an Excel file (.xls). The following message will appear after opening the file. Click 'Yes'.
Click the following link to open an example file: gc_test.xls.
Students receive a notification of newly entered grades and they can find the grade overview of all their subjects in their personal menu. You can also choose to publish the personal grade list of students within your course. Follow the steps below to publish a personal grade list in your course.
1. In the course menu, choose Add menu item (the plus at the top) and then Tool link:
2. Type the title of the menu item that should appear in the course menu.
3. Choose at the item Type for 'My Grades'.
4. Activate 'Available to Users'.
5. Select Submit.
6. Students see their personal grades when they click on the specific menu item.